NICHOLAS LUTZ FREE-BLOWN MARBRIE LOOP EPERGNE, opal with red, white, and blue loops, constructed in three parts, the shallow bowl with an applied ruby rim, raised on a hollow standard, featuring a double-knop stem and large domed foot, each section having an applied opal wafer and joined with original plaster. The bowl fitted with a gilded-brass screw connector like those used on Sanwich Onion lamps, which accepts the trumpet vase. Nicholas Lutz (1838-1906), Boston & Sandwich Glass Co. 1876. 20" HOA, 10 1/4" D bowl, 6 3/4" D foot.
Published: Barlow/Kasier, The Glass Industry in Sandwich, Vol. 3, p. 250, fig. 3399.
Catalogue Note: The present epergne descended in the Lutz family. It was made by Nicholas in 1876 as a constant reminder that he became a citizen in the year of his adopted country's Centennial.
Available payment options
Glass deaccessioned by the Bennington Museum, Bennington, VT. All proceeds will go toward the museum's Collections Acquisition Fund.
Acquired from Victor Ernest Lutz, son of the maker in 1960.