• Stoneware/Redware
Lot 121

VIRGINIA MERCHANT'S STAMPED STONEWARE ARTICLES, LOT OF TWO

Estimate: $100 - $200
Sold for

Bid Increments

Price Bid Increment
$0 $10
$200 $25
$500 $50
$1,000 $100
$3,000 $250
$5,000 $500
$10,000 $1,000
$30,000 $2,500
$50,000 $5,000
$100,000 $10,000

VIRGINIA MERCHANT'S STAMPED STONEWARE ARTICLES, LOT OF TWO, salt-glazed, comprising a "1/2" capacity marked jar, cylindrical form with sharp shoulder, single-incised shoulder ring, and flared cork mouth, and an approximately half-gallon capacity jug, beehive form with collared mouth and applied strap handle with medial groove. Each stamped "E.J. MILLER / ALEXA" to shoulder. Made for Elisha Janney Miller by the Milburn family, Wilkes Street pottery, Alexandria, VA. 1865-1876. Jug 8 5/8" HOA, jar 8 1/8" H, 2 3/4" D rim.
Literature: Parallels Wilder - Alexandria, Virginia Pottery, 1792-1876, jar p. 293, fig. EJM001; stamp p. 327, fig. Mk XIX.
Catalogue Note: Elisha Janney Miller was born into an Alexandria, VA merchant family. His grandfather, Mordecai Miller, and father, Robert Hartshorne Miller (1798-1874) were each prosperous importers and wholesalers. Elisha began working with his father in 1856 at his No. 65 King Street establishment and nine years later, he inherited the business after his father's retirement. At this time, Elisha entered into a business partnership with the Milburn family pottery on Wilkes Street. The pottery provided the merchant with assorted stoneware forms including jars, cuspidors/spittoons, jugs, milk pans, and cake crocks until its closing in 1876. Following the closure of the Alexandria pottery, Miller began procuring stoneware from James Hamilton in Greensboro, PA. Vessels featured his business name, address, and sometimes additional advertising information in stenciled cobalt. Elisha J. Miller managed the business until 1895, when he passed away from Bright's disease at the age of 67. The mercantile company continued in the Miller family until sometime before 1917.

Condition

Excellent, undamaged condition.

Collection of the late Al and Billy Steidel, Alexandria, VA.